Scientific MOOCs follower. Author of Airpocalypse, a techno-medical thriller (Out Summer 2017)


Welcome to the digital era of biology (and to this modest blog I started in early 2005).

To cure many diseases, like cancer or cystic fibrosis, we will need to target genes (mutations, for ex.), not organs! I am convinced that the future of replacement medicine (organ transplant) is genomics (the science of the human genome). In 10 years we will be replacing (modifying) genes; not organs!


Anticipating the $100 genome era and the P4™ medicine revolution. P4 Medicine (Predictive, Personalized, Preventive, & Participatory): Catalyzing a Revolution from Reactive to Proactive Medicine.


I am an early adopter of scientific MOOCs. I've earned myself four MIT digital diplomas: 7.00x, 7.28x1, 7.28.x2 and 7QBWx. Instructor of 7.00x: Eric Lander PhD.

Upcoming books: Airpocalypse, a medical thriller (action taking place in Beijing) 2017; Jesus CRISPR Superstar, a sci-fi -- French title: La Passion du CRISPR (2018).

I love Genomics. Would you rather donate your data, or... your vital organs? Imagine all the people sharing their data...

Audio files on this blog are Windows files ; if you have a Mac, you might want to use VLC (http://www.videolan.org) to read them.

Concernant les fichiers son ou audio (audio files) sur ce blog : ce sont des fichiers Windows ; pour les lire sur Mac, il faut les ouvrir avec VLC (http://www.videolan.org).


Who i am

Catherine Coste
A creative person, with a love for interprets, interested in science people. I tried writing a couple of fictions over the last couple of years (as a full-time job); now working with a movie production company in Taiwan. Writing is like everything else, i guess: hard work. It keeps me motivated to think about interprets i would love to see acting or singing in the various roles in the medical thriller and the sci-fi i'm writing. My co-writer Isa, who has been working with me for years, is a key person in this writing process. She's like some kind of doppelgänger i would guess... She is teaching international cooperation in various universities and has been travelling around the world. I suspect she is the reloaded version of French writer (and opera singer) Alexandra David-Neel, the first woman to travel to Tibet and India and to write about it. She is an amazing storyteller, never fearing to experience what it's like to be a woman in Bangladesh, in rural places in India, or diving into an unknown ocean at the other end of the world for a couple of hours just minutes after she was taught how to dive in the first place.
My (much less adventurous) background includes ballet, singing, a PhD in (German) literature, as well as a constant effort to seek updates in life sciences (genomics and medicine mainly). That's how i earned myself four MITx MOOCs certificates in biology.
Fluent in a few languages: English, German, French, also Lithuanian (!!) and Dutch. Passion for Mandarin Chinese language; trying to learn how to speak and write Chinese in my free time. Eager to practice, I speak to my husband who cannot even say hello in Mandarin Chinese (but knows his way around each and every computer coding language!), or to my stir-fry pan when standing in the kitchen and getting dinner ready, including the trees and ducks when i go for a walk in the park. In my family, everyone has lived and worked in various countries and is speaking at least three languages (my brother, an engineer, speaks 8!) Interestingly, my mom taught Spanish to my brother while i was being taught German from another part of the family. My granddad taught me English (through literature), which my mom only speaks when forced to. My dad (you wouldn't guess) is a rebel (fluent in Italian, but hardly anybody else in the family is. Ha!) We've got interesting family gatherings in various countries (even continents) where a bit of everything is spoken. My brother's in-laws mainly speak Cantonese. A true melting pot.

When i was a student, with (already) a passion for books, Elias Canetti (also from a polyglot family) captured my attention. There will be no need to learn languages now, as deep learning will teach this skill to machines, Google translate and stuff. Still... Connecting with people in their native language (or in any language they are truly mastering) seems as important to me as the ability to feel, to touch, to smell, to hear... Currently studying (as an autodidact) Chinese authors of sci-fi. Their work, their bio.

Extreme Disruption Humorist on twitter.

https://fr.pinterest.com/pin/331366485053786094

Teachers have played a major part in my life so far (48 years old), especially:
Maurice Béjart (ballet)
Denise Daun (filmmaking, University of Nanterre, France)
Rémy Colombat (German literature)
Prof. Emmanuel Lincot, Jean-Christophe Victor (Geopolitics in Asia, geography)
François Muller (Linguistics)
My husband Eric Segui (computer coding)
The amazing MITxBio MOOC teaching staff: Professors Stephen Bell and Tania Baker. And the great Eric Lander!
Also, two amazing women who told me very early that writing would be my life-long partner: Prof. Jacqueline Magnou (Germanistik, Paris and Orleans, France), and Adriana Hass (Germanistik, Paris X Nanterre).

What kind of music are you listening?
This is more about interprets than music styles. For ex.: not a great fan of opera, but truly love this. Always interested in discovering younger and older interprets from around the world...

Aucun commentaire: