Scientific MOOCs follower. Author of Airpocalypse, a techno-medical thriller (Out Summer 2017)


Welcome to the digital era of biology (and to this modest blog I started in early 2005).

To cure many diseases, like cancer or cystic fibrosis, we will need to target genes (mutations, for ex.), not organs! I am convinced that the future of replacement medicine (organ transplant) is genomics (the science of the human genome). In 10 years we will be replacing (modifying) genes; not organs!


Anticipating the $100 genome era and the P4™ medicine revolution. P4 Medicine (Predictive, Personalized, Preventive, & Participatory): Catalyzing a Revolution from Reactive to Proactive Medicine.


I am an early adopter of scientific MOOCs. I've earned myself four MIT digital diplomas: 7.00x, 7.28x1, 7.28.x2 and 7QBWx. Instructor of 7.00x: Eric Lander PhD.

Upcoming books: Airpocalypse, a medical thriller (action taking place in Beijing) 2017; Jesus CRISPR Superstar, a sci-fi -- French title: La Passion du CRISPR (2018).

I love Genomics. Would you rather donate your data, or... your vital organs? Imagine all the people sharing their data...

Audio files on this blog are Windows files ; if you have a Mac, you might want to use VLC (http://www.videolan.org) to read them.

Concernant les fichiers son ou audio (audio files) sur ce blog : ce sont des fichiers Windows ; pour les lire sur Mac, il faut les ouvrir avec VLC (http://www.videolan.org).


A Fiction on Transplant Ethics - Une fiction sur l'éthique des transplantations

I'm a journalist 2.0. I'm not a physician, or a nurse.  Five years ago, I was a marketing assistant in a multinational firm, then a german teacher.  In touch with surgeons through my family and job, I stumbeled upon conflicts regarding transplantation "ethics", however I did not know a damn thing about organ transplantation at this time. Starting a blog to help myself and others understand more about these conflicts I had witnessed, again and again, and maybe due to the fact that I'm neither a lawyer, nor a transplant surgeon (nurse) or a journalist, etc. - testimonies just kept pouring in.  The blog was breeding quickly:  testimonies from parents who donated organs from their "brain dead" child (or did not donate), from nurses working with transplant surgeons, from doctors and surgeons. Standing in the middle of conflicts is an uncomfortable position.  You cannot hang on like this forever.  Wrath of transplant surgeons, witnessing emotions, feeling them - anger, fear, frustration, humiliation, sadness, love ...

Why the heck did all these unknown people chose me for this "pie in the face" job?  Well, there must have been a need for this role-job-thing ...
 
I guess doctors or psychologists ("shrinks") would fit best in the role of mediator in all these transplant ethics issues. But was a mediator ever found, is it possible to find one (several) ? I guess the transplant medicine community in its whole cannot seem to decide on such mediators.  Lots of wild guesses there, I'll grant you that.  Mediators should not be biaised, and they should not work under pressure.  And there should be no conflit of interest.
 
I'm just the odd woman on the street.  Maybe this is just what all these people I do not know are (were) looking for, eager to tell their "hard won experience", whatever this experience might have been.
 
Well, telling the story of this 5-year-mediation-job-thing is definitely something I have to do.  To start with, I want to tell this story to show how different it is (it was) from a pie-in-the-face-job. Yes yes, that's what you think it is, of course.  But lemme tell you something:  it's not.

Transplant surgeons are passionate, patients are ... passionate, and everybody else has to be standing in between.

Thinking back on some encounters, painful true stories, harsh conflits, resentments ... Sometimes it is just better and safer to use fiction to address sensitive issues.
 
Now, what about my own hard won experience?  Quite frankly, the emotional entanglement that occurs through deep conversation must be avoided, but it is easier said than done.  This is also the reason why I need to write about this quite unusual "blogging" experience. 

So stay tuned, a fiction on transplant ethics will soon be produced.  Special thanks to my "mentors"! Please be patient with me, I promise I'll do my best ... 

  ==> ENGLISH VERSION AUDIO

  ==> VERSION FRANCAISE AUDIO

1 commentaire:

Ethics, Health and Death 2.0 a dit…

Copyright image :

http://www.cabinetprin.com/Mediation-Cabinet-Prin-conseil-en-management.html